On Sat, Jan 14, 2017 at 11:03:24AM +0000, Peter Kay wrote:
> On 12 January 2017 at 15:06, Stefan Sperling <s...@stsp.name> wrote:
> >>
> I'm now getting some very odd issues that did not previously exist
> with my hostap before upgrading to the snapshot and applying the
> patch.

It seems you have a 2GHz only card according to
https://wikidevi.com/wiki/Atheros
and what you wrote earlier:

 "Hardware MAC AR5416 rev 2, RF AR2133 (3T2R), ROM rev 5 (PCI adapter)"

So your first test might not have had 11n enabled since the first two
versions of my patch had a bug where 11n was left disabled on 2GHz only
devices. Please check with 'ifconfig media athn0' whether 11n mode is
actually supported.

> Phone complains about an 'authentication problem', iwn laptop with
> issues about buffer space and then associates with a different ap.
> There's nothing in the logs and a reboot is required.
>
> At first I thought it was a clock problem, because I found my firewall
> clock was somehow a month ahead, but after correcting that the second
> time it occurred the time was ok.
>
> Going to have to revert to snapshot without the 11n patches and see if
> the issue persists. Unfortunately it takes a while to manifest itself.

What does your /etc/hostname.athn0 file look like?
Please specify 'mode 11n' in your /etc/hostname.athn0, and also fix the
channel with a line such as 'chan 1'. There are known problems otherwise.
For reference, this is what I am using:

  media autoselect mode 11n mediaopt hostap chan 10
  nwid stsp.name wpakey xxxxxxx
  up

(There is no line configuring an IP since my athn0 is part of a bridge.)

Apart from that there are known performance issues on 2GHz.
I have always had bad performance from athn(4) on 2GHz, even in 11g mode.
Currently my 2GHz AP effectively transmits no more than 500Kbit/s.
But is runs stable apart from that.

It is unclear where this problem is coming from. Until now I wasn't sure
whether this is problem is specific to my environment or not (there are
a lot of 2GHz networks around here). It does not seems to be the case
since by now several people have reported this problem.
It seems the driver works a lot better with 5 GHz devices and lacks
something specific to the 2GHz ones.