I'm still having issues with this.

When the access point wedges, it seems to affect my Android phone more
than the iwn laptop. ifconfig athn0 down up does resolve the problem
in the short term.

I see the changes have already been committed, so it's no longer
necessary to patch recent snapshots (running 14th, #133).

ifconfig athn0 media produces

athn0: flags=8843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
        lladdr x:x:x:x
        index 1 priority 4 llprio 3
        groups: wlan
        media: IEEE802.11 autoselect (autoselect mode 11n hostap)
        status: active
        ieee80211: nwid myAP chan 9 bssid x:x:x:x wpakey 0xdeadbeef
wpaprotos wpa2 wpaakms psk paciphers ccmp wpagroupcipher ccmp
        supported media:
                media autoselect
                media autoselect mediaopt hostap
                media autoselect mediaopt monitor
                media autoselect mode 11b
                media autoselect mode 11b mediaopt hostap
                media autoselect mode 11b mediaopt monitor
                media autoselect mode 11g
                media autoselect mode 11g mediaopt hostap
                media autoselect mode 11g mediaopt monitor
                media autoselect mode 11n
                media autoselect mode 11n mediaopt hostap
                media autoselect mode 11n mediaopt monitor

I can possibly try switching developer options on one of the Android
phones I have lying around.