On Mon, Jan 15, 2018 at 01:02 +0100, Mark Kettenis wrote:
> The diff below adopts more of the Linux code to manage i2c
> transactions on hardware supported by inteldrm(4).  The i2c stuff is
> reponsible for detecting panels and monitors, so it is somewhat
> important that this works right.  And the Linux code developed some
> quirks over the years that my rewrite of the code to use OpenBSD APIs
> didn't have.
>
> So I'm looking for testers.  I'm especially interested in tests of
> external displays on all sorts of connector types (VGA, DVI, HDMI,
> DP).  It would be really great to get some tests on older stuff with
> (S)DVO.  Please let me know if there are regressions or if this fixes
> things that are currently broken.  But all reports are welcome.
> Please include a dmesg and some information about the display and
> connector type.

Hi,

I've been running with this since it hit the tree and it has fixed
a major issue for me: an external HDMI output was marked 'disconnected'
only a few minutes after being connected.  The output worked fine,
but I presume X was notified that something changed and my window
manager would restrict the area for popups and drop down menus to the
main screen, as in they would only appear on the panel of the laptop,
regardless of where the actual window was.  So huge thanks for that!

In the meantime (somewhere around Mesa update and a backout), another
issue got fixed.  If a test 60fps video would've been displayed on the
panel, a visible tearing artefact would be visible in the upper portion
of the screen.  And now it's gone.  Thanks Jonathan and Mark for your
work on this, it's greatly appreciated!

My hardware is an X1 Carbon 2017 (Kaby Lake) with a WQHD (2560x1440)
panel and a 1920x1080 external monitor.

Cheers,
Mike