On 2018/04/29 10:17, Stefan Sperling wrote:
> On Sun, Apr 29, 2018 at 03:39:07AM +0200, Jesper Wallin wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I recently learned that my AP behaves badly and I have packet loss when
> > the background scan is running.  I had a small chat with stsp@ about it,
> > asking if there is a way to disable it.  He kindly explained that if I'm
> > connected to an AP with a weak signal, it will try to find another AP
> > with better signal and use that one instead.
> >
> > Sadly, I only have a single AP at home and this doesn't really solve my
> > problem.  Though, you can also set a desired bssid to use, to force it
> > to connect to a single AP.  However, the background scan will still run
> > even if this is set.
> >
> > Maybe the background scan has other use-cases that I'm not aware of, if
> > so, I apologize in advance.  The patch below simply check if a bssid is
> > specified and if so, skip the background scan.
>
> I agree, even though it would be nice to understand the underlying
> packet loss issue. But I cannot reproduce the problem unforunately :(
> Have you verified that the problem only happens on this particular AP?

It's very common  for wifi clients to do background scans so I'd be
interested to know whether non-OpenBSD clients also see packet loss,
or whether OpenBSD with a different client device is any better. What
are the AP and client devices? Are other firmware versions available? I
guess bg scan must use power-saving to queue frames while the client is
off channel so maybe the issue relates to this.

I'm wondering if changing this may introduce problems when an AP moves
to a different channel? Either by manual configuration, mechanisms
like Ruckus' channelfly (still possible on single-AP even without a
controller), radar detect on 5GHz, or even something as simple as
rebooting an AP set to "auto" channel.