On Sat, Sep 22, 2018 at 08:22:52AM +0100, Tom Smyth wrote:
> OpenBGPd Feature Request  / Question if the Feature Request
> is something the community would use ?
>
> Background,
> Ideally we would run full tables so that we have visibility
> on reachibility of a prefix via a transit provider,
>
> Problem: routers that support this functionality Reliably
>  are quite expensive, (or inexpensive and unreliable)
> Workaround:
> so many people accept default over BGP from transit and
>  then peer locally on the exchange
> Issue with this is that you lose visibility of wheather
> an ip is actually reachable via your transit provider
>

> Question:
> is it feasible to have a hybrid between a default route
> for transit and bgp full views of transit?
> Is it feasible to:
> a) take two or more full bgp feeds from transit,
> b) diff them continuously on a software route server,
> c) install a default route to your preferred transit provider
>     on your lower cost L3 Switches / Routers
> d) install differences in prefix reachibilitity to the
>     appropiate transit provider (which would otherwise not
>     be reachable via your preferred transit provider)
>

> Why am I asking this ?
> I want to have the advantages of full views of internet
> but I want the simplicity of a single default route +
> any exceptions.  and use more cost effective hardware
>
> Im asking this in the context of an ISP which is not
> proividing transit to other ISPs
>
> I ideally would like to run multihop BGP to my transit
> providers,
> and then use a L3 switch for forwarding in hardware
> (something like an arista / Broadcom Trident II )
> which can take up to around 128k routes on its asics
>
> If it is feasible to do what is involved in adding it
> to OpenBGPd and is this something the wider community
> would use / enjoy ?
>
> Your feedback would be really appreciated...

Yes, it is feasible. Spotify is doing something like this.
https://blog.ipspace.net/2015/01/sdn-router-spotify-on-software-gone-wild.html

In short: analyse where 80% of your traffic goes to (nfsen) and write a
filter to only install those prefixes in addition to the default route.

A year ago I did this analysis for the network I operate:
80% of our Internet traffic went to 20 ASs and was covered by ~9k prefixes.

Cheers,
Remi