> Am 04.12.2018 um 00:52 schrieb Chris Cappuccio <ch...@nmedia.net>:
>
> johnw [johnw.m...@gmail.com] wrote:
>>
>> Hi, after disable pvclock, it can boot with new kernel again, thanks.
>> cpu0: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU E8400 @ 3.00GHz, 105.29 MHz, 06-17-0a
>> cpu0:
>> FPU,VME,DE,PSE,TSC,MSR,PAE,MCE,CX8,APIC,SEP,MTRR,PGE,MCA,CMOV,PAT,PSE36,CFLUSH,MMX,FXSR,SSE,SSE2,SS,SSE3,SSSE3,CX16,SSE4.1,x2APIC,DEADLINE,XSAVE,HV,NXE,LONG,LAHF,PERF,ARAT,MELTDOWN
>
> This CPU clearly doesn't have the invariant TSC (it is required according
> to Reyk Floeter's tech@ posting from Nov 19th.) So, pvclock does not handle
> this situation properly, apparently checking for KVM_FEATURE_CLOCKSOURCE2
> and KVM_FEATURE_CLOCKSOURCE_STABLE_BIT is not enough.

Yes, KVM’s stable bit is not a reliable indication as it is seems to depend on
the capabilities of the KVM version and not the actual availability of the
feature on the particular hardware. How annoying.

As mentioned before: I‘d like to disable pvclock for now and I can do that in
the morning CET if nobody beats me to it.

I have an idea how to deal with old platforms afterwards but this needs some
more tests and thoughts.

Reyk