Fabio Scotoni <fa...@esse.ch> wrote:

> > According to the Berne Convention, even though you cannot give away
> > the moral rights that constitute the core of Copyright, you can give
> > away the economic rights arising from a Work.  Some publishers of
> > software (for example the FSF) ask for that.  But in OpenBSD, we
> > strongly encourage original authors to retain all economic rights
> > arising from their Works, and simply grant a standardized license
> > themselves, such that OpenBSD can distribute the Works.
>
> Thank you for clarifying.
>
> Since I wasn't aware how documentation (and code) from outsiders
> contributing to OpenBSD would be treated, I figured I should err on the
> side of caution and not grant any license in the initial publication.
> Requests with regards to assignment of rights could have been possible,
> after all.
> Granting the economic rights becomes somewhat meaningless if there is a
> pre-existing liberal license and you had wished that the rights had been
> granted exclusively to a single entity.
>
> > The OpenBSD
> > project doesn't own any rights and isn't even a legal entity.
>
> (That's why I said "to an OpenBSD contributor", not "to the OpenBSD
> project" in my previous e-mail, actually.)

We have all stood on the shoulders of giants.  And if we do enough work,
we too will have others standing on our shoulders.

I think it's really crappy when the contribution of the individual gets
hidden, due to the organization or company wanting their name placed in
a copyright notice.

That makes sense when it is a work-for-hire, but most of what is in
OpenBSD isn't work-for-hire.

OpenBSD is the aggregate of contributions from many thousands of
individuals, and their names should be praised at the top of each file.