Ian McWilliam <i.mcwill...@westernsydney.edu.au> wrote:
> Isn't Unix a trademark of the Open Group? Hence the usage of Unix-like or
> Un*x..

Yeah I have no complaint with "Unix-like". I'm happy to learn about the
historical reasons for writing "Un*x". If it's to be suggestive of variants,
that makes a little bit of sense, though if we interpret it as a shell glob I'm
not sure what other extant system names other than "Unix" are matched by
"Un*x". If it started as self-censorship of the word "Unix" in an attempt to
avoid trademark infringement, that strikes me as unlikely to be a legally
consequential maneuver. (But I am not a lawyer etc etc)

Evan Silberman