Stefan Sperling <s...@stsp.name> wrote:

> I don't understand why the installer would matter. Nothing would actually
> change for the installer. We're sure as hell not going to add UTF-8 there.
> The installer's ifconfig would just deal in hex all the way as it does today.
> During install finding the right network could be tricky, but that's not a
> new problem. Upgrades would just work once hostname.if contains the right hex.

In upgrade mode, the installer must be able to do the same work as
/etc/netstart -- the installer has a re-implimentation to parse and act
upon hostname.* files.  If that behaves different because ifconfig doesn't
act the same way, upgrade won't work right in some circumstances.  There's
a small chance your change in behaviour for ifconfig doesn't matter but
I am quite sceptical.