On Mon, Mar 9, 2020 at 9:24 AM YASUOKA Masahiko <yasu...@openbsd.org> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Thank you for your test and feedback.
>
> I see, first diff didn't fix the problem on your machine.
>
> > I haven't tried any of the later diffs as I'm not sure which are still
> > recommended.
>
> The last diff should fix the problem since it will initialize efifb
> before initializing VGA without condition.
>
> https://marc.info/?l=openbsd-tech&m=158280719421562&w=2

Yes, that one does indeed fix the problem!  (That diff alone -- I
reverted the first one.)  I also tested that kernel on another machine
in BIOS mode; doesn't seem to cause any problems there.

Thanks a bunch!

On a related note, since you are knowledgeable about EFI console
stuff, I don't suppose you happen to know the magic necessary for
efi_cons_getshifts() [1]?  That is needed to allow "hold Ctrl to skip
processing /etc/boot.conf" to work with efiboot.  biosboot uses an
interrupt 0x16 call [2] which I guess isn't available under EFI?
[1]
https://github.com/openbsd/src/blob/43e343f8aa17502e68dbb74fa3dd463280c74fe5/sys/arch/amd64/stand/efi64/efiboot.c#L514-L519
[2]
https://github.com/openbsd/src/blob/0ac7e6ecda86f609ac723da7cedfc4880e082fdd/sys/arch/amd64/stand/libsa/bioscons.c#L100-L109