Stefan Sperling <s...@stsp.name> wrote:

> > A smaller secondary concern is if you can convince software using this
> > space,
> > from remote, to hog the space too much, and/or lose track of files in there.
> > Which would also create the fallout problems of "/var is full".
> >
> > It's a matter of how other /var-using software misbehaves or fails in
> > those circumstances.  These concerns have been ignored too long.
>
> Yes, absolutely correct. Logs or tempfiles filling up /var are a problem,
> and in the gotweb application Tracey and I created it is indeed possible
> for requests to trigger large tempfiles. We need to look at that and come
> up with a better solution.
> We could check whether httpd/slowcgi could help with this somehow and try
> to come up with something that works for any application and not just ours.

I'm worried anyone using a tmp directory is going to write software which
"loses files" when it crashes.  That's yet another reason why a filesystem
can get full.

And when /var gets full, there are big consequences.  We've done pretty
much NOTHING to the other /var consuming-software to make sure they work
(or fail kindly) when /var is full.  It is an ignored problem.  It only
takes a little experiment to know the problem is real.