On Thu, Apr 30, 2020 at 11:19:14AM +0000, Kevin Chadwick wrote:
<snip>
> I used to avoid installing the X sets and I found that even on e.g. a web
> server without X11 running. I would end up installing them in the end as
> certain ports would require them.

Often there's a no_x11 FLAVOR, but avoiding that extra work in ports
maintenance is part of the motivation for deprecating non-X installations.
IIRC, ports maintainers have for years made it clear that providing and
maintaining no_x11 FLAVORs isn't a priority.

> Struggling to remember why I wanted to do it, to be honest.

Because until relatively recently X was installed sgid root. But that
was fixed for 6.5:

https://cvsweb.openbsd.org/xenocara/xserver/Makefile.bsd-wrapper?rev=1.67&content-type=text/x-cvsweb-markup