On Fri, May 01, 2020 at 12:22:26AM +0200, clematis wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 30, 2020 at 07:20:04PM +0100, Jason McIntyre wrote:
> > On Thu, Apr 30, 2020 at 07:13:16PM +0200, clematis wrote:
> > > Hello,
> > >
> > > Following the previous thread about /etc/examples/doas.conf [1] ,
> > > I've noticed those example files aren't always listed in their
> > > respective manpage or without a description.
> > > This has been discussed here recently for bgpd.conf [2].
> > > Also noticed updates for some of them like acme-client.conf [3].
> > >
> > > Taking into account those email threads I would suggest the changes
> > > below:
> > >
> > > Adding FILES section with description for:
> > > - /usr.sbin/dhcpd/dhcpd.conf.5
> > > - /usr.sbin/httpd/httpd.conf.5
> > >
> > > Adding short description for:
> > > - /sbin/iked/iked.conf.5
> > > - /usr.sbin/inetd/inetd.8
> > > - /sbin/ipsecctl/ipsec.conf.5
> > > - /usr.bin/mandoc/man.conf.5
> > > - /usr.sbin/sasyncd/sasyncd.conf.5
> > > - /share/man/man5/sysctl.conf.5
> > > - /usr.sbin/vmd/vm.conf.5
> > > - /share/man/man5/wsconsctl.conf.5
> > >
> > > Other changes:
> > > - /usr.sbin/mrouted/mrouted.8
> > >   +.Nm mrouted.conf + short description
> > > - /usr.sbin/rbootd/rbootd.8
> > >   +.Nm rbootd.conf + minor description update
> > > - /share/man/man8/rc.shutdown.8
> > >   adding example file + description
> > >
> > > The others examples file' man pages looked OK and consistent with
> > > this approach.
> > >
> > > Diff attached to this email. Please let me know if adjustments have to
> > > be made.
> > >
> > > [1] https://marc.info/?t=158783671100001&r=1&w=2
> > > [2] https://marc.info/?t=158120503900002&r=1&w=2
> > > [3]
> > > https://cvsweb.openbsd.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb/src/usr.sbin/acme-client/acme-client.conf.5.diff?r1=1.21&r2=1.22&f=h
> > >
> > > Thanks,
> > >
> > > --
> > > clematis (0xA2C87EDB507B4C53)
> >
> > hi.
>
> Hi Jason,
>
> > i'm broadly in favour. having said that, i have a horrible feeling this
> > has come up before and there was some reason not to.
>
> This might be the thread I was also referring to, in regards to
> bgpd.conf. In the end, there was kind of an agreement to move into that
> direction: https://marc.info/?l=openbsd-tech&m=158125647814751&w=2
> (at least it was my understanding)
> A lot was previously discussed in the dhclient.conf thread:
> https://marc.info/?t=158112678000001&r=1&w=2
>
> > supposing that no one has such a reason, i'd be happy to fix this.
> > however one thing bugs me - i don;t think the description in FILES
> > should attempt to outline the contents. it will just go out of date and
> > even if it doesn't, it's not the place. too wordy. i'd prefer to just
> > use a single, consistent, description. like "Example configuration
> > file." or somesuch.
>
> Well, I see value doing it for the complex ones. I tend to agree that it
> might not be so valuable for the basic ones. Hence why only a few were
> [...]

ok, so i see from those threads that i was against expanding FILES, but
happy for entries for the corresponding files.

so i'm broadly against your diff. ingo seems to have more or less
completely updated our FILES. the only question is about whether we need
FILES section in dhcpd.conf and httpd.conf.

i don;t understand your reference to 28 out of 41 files. i cannot see
where we added any expanded FILES entries. can you provide a summary of
these inconsistencies, please?

jmc