Hi Jason & Theo,

thanks for the feedback!

Jason McIntyre wrote on Sun, Jul 19, 2020 at 05:02:02PM +0100:

> i guess the argument in favour of more(1) would be that it is part of
> posix, even if optional, where less(1) is not. so it makes sense to
> choose a command most likely to work on most machines.
>
> having said that, i've nothing against the switch. i imagine it'd be
> hard to find a system without less(1).

I was only talking about mandoc in OpenBSD.  I rarely ask questions
about mandoc-portable on <tech@openbsd.org>, and i rarely decide
what to do in mandoc-portable before things are committed to
OpenBSD.

It does indeed seem hard to find an OpenBSD system without less(1).  :)

Not yet sure what i will do in -portable.  Maybe test for the
availability of less(1) in ./configure, which is quite easy to do
and which ./configure already does for many operating system features.
That would also be convenient because the mandoc ./configure is set
up in such a way that it is trivial for downstream package maintainers
(say in Void Linux, FreeBSD, or Illumos) to manually override in
their package any result that ./configure automatically detects.
But that does not need to bother anyone here.  None of the (very
small amount of) portability code is in our OpenBSD CVS tree.

> about -s: it's inclusion probably comes from a time when there was an
> annoying bug in nroff that made our man pages randomly display a number
> of blank lines in the middle of a page. -s mitigated that somewhat.

Ah.  Good to know.  Then that's definitely no longer needed.

Thanks,
  Ingo