Hi,

ropers wrote on Mon, Jul 20, 2020 at 05:54:46AM +0100:

> Ah, I see where you're coming from, Ingo.  You've dropped the idea of
> testing for less(1) in non-portable mandoc because we know less(1) is
> in base.[1]

Configuration testing is never needed in a base system.  It may
sometimes linger when importing third-party software into base,
but even then, it is often deleted.

> I'm not certain I understand why they're passing /dev/null as
> a tagsfile.  Maybe to test if any -T <tagsfile> throws any error?

Exactly, that's what i wrote the HAVE_LESS_T test in mandoc-portable
for: to test whether less(1) has (support for) -T.

> (I also don't actually understand the redirection to file
> descriptor 3.  Cluebats welcome, on- or off-list.)

   $ sed -n /Output/,/3:/p configure
  # Output file descriptor usage:
  # 1 (stdout): config.h, Makefile.local
  # 2 (stderr): original stderr, usually to the console
  # 3: config.log

Anyway, i committed the patch to OpenBSD, thanks to all who provided
feedback.

No need to discuss mandoc-portable on tech@ any further.

Yours,
  Ingo