On Sat, Dec 19, 2020 at 10:36:32PM +0000, gil...@poolp.org wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Whenever a rule with a local action (mbox, maildir, lmtp or mda) is matched,
> smtpd will
> attempt to search for a ~/.forward file in the recipient directory and
> process it. This
> may be convenient for some setups but it is an implicit behavior that's not
> overridable
> and not always wanted.
>
> This diff changes this behavior by requiring the admins to explicitly allow
> the forward
> files processing in the actions when desired:
>
>     action "local_users" maildir forward-file
>

> With this diff, if forward-file is not specified, code to request parent
> process for an
> fd is bypassed and the expansion layer just pretends parent couldn't find
> one. This let
> the code fallback in an already existing code path with the proper behavior
> and is very
> uninvasive.

if I could understood the direction (which is fine as it makes the
daemon less behaviour dependant on a user settings), the default seems
wrong to me (at least for now, and for OpenBSD base specifically).

Currently, root@ mail delivery is based on /root/.forward file:
install is writing this file to redirect root@ mail to user (if user
was created at install-time). It is done this way since 2011 (see
distrib/miniroot/install.sh rev 1.218). So I assume that all installs
which were done with a user configured, since 2011, could use it.

At first step, I would keep the default smtpd.conf with "forward-file"
option set. It would make smtpd(1) to default to no "forward-file" if
not set (what your diff do), but set the default to with
"forward-file" for OpenBSD base.

Admin could remove the option if he/she doesn't use it.

Thanks.
--
Sebastien Marie