On Sat, Dec 19, 2020 at 11:19:10PM -0700, Theo de Raadt wrote:
> There are thousands of people with smtpd configurations, and sysmerge
> is not going to handle this.
>
> We cannot expect them all to change their files.  This is madness.

Well, it wouldn't be the first time. But I agree that such changes
should be rare and have really good reason for.

So yes, even if the option is desirable and being off-by-default would
be a good default, the flag-day way for handling it is complex.

Regarding the option itself, if I recall correctly some descriptions
made by Gilles about smtpd, opening ~/.forward is one of the few tasks
done by the priviligied process of smtpd. So it could make sense to
avoid it if not need.

Gilles, could you confirm that having an option to remove .forward
capability (whatever the default value of the option is) could
effectively help to reduce the attack surface of smtpd ?

For example, as immediate consequence, I see no reason for smtpd
priviliegied process to keep a full filesystem view: it might be
possible to restricted it to few directories with unveil(2) (I assume
priviliegied process is still need for bsd_auth, and bsd_auth will
have some requirements).

Thanks.
--
Sebastien Marie