Crystal Kolipe wrote in
 <zscwxx+zedwrz...@exoticsilicon.com>:
 |On Thu, Oct 12, 2023 at 12:36:48AM +0200, Steffen Nurpmeso wrote:
 |> Non-7-bit clean headers need RFC 2047 (and/or RFC 2231) encoding.
 |
 |The use of MIME encoded words to encode header content is no longer
 |considered best practice.  See, for example RFC 6532.

Yes there is SMTPUTF8, which is a special protocol.
The /global MIME thing i personally have _never_ seen in practice.
I have downloaded the RFC on 2012-07-23.

 |But as Omar said, let's get the basics of any new functionality
 |sorted out before jumping ahead.  We don't really want to break
 |mail in some unexpected and non-obvious way.

I cannot comment on that.  I am pretty sure i have never seen
/global yet.  Ie an archive search here reveals only three mails
where i mention them in the text; the last is from a thread from
nmh-work...@nongnu.org from July this year, and let me shamelessly
quote Ken Hornstein who said on 2023-07-23

 The message/global MIME type (a RFC822 message but with UTF-8
 everywhere) has a suggested file extension of ".u8msg", which
 I have never personally seen "in the wild" anywhere.  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

--steffen