From: techno-chat-boun...@techno-chat.net
[mailto:techno-chat-boun...@techno-chat.net] On Behalf Of Gordon Smith
Sent: Saturday, November 30, 2013 8:03 AM
To: Techno-Chat ... Technology Enthusiasm!
Subject: How Things Change!

Hi all

Around 3 or 4 years back, I had the opportunity of trying a Focus 40 Braille
display.  At that time, they used thumb wheels and I hated the darn thing!

I'm now the owner of a Focus40-Blue, and what a change of design philosophy
since those days!  They now use panning buttons and rocker bars and I have to
confess I love it!  It's a very nice display indeed now.  I know I'm not all in
favour of how Freedom does things.  But on this occasion they've definitely
scored a major hit in my opinion.

The Braille display itself can be adjusted in terms of the firmness of the
cells.  The ability to move as per the speed of your reading is not unique, but
it is a nice touch.  The surface of the display is nice and smooth, which makes
the Braille stand out.

The charging, power usage and management are excellent.  The unit is
host-powered when connected to USB so there is no drain on battery.  The unit
is only self-powered when used with BlueTooth and even then you get an average
of 20 hours continuous use before a recharge is necessary, according to Freedom.

I've only had this since last Tuesday but didn't get the opportunity to try it
properly until last night.  I am very very impressed, well done Freedom
Scientific on this one.

Kind regards

<--- Gordon Smith --->