[Please CC me on replies, I'm not subscribed]

On Sat, Apr 23, 2016 at 12:43:05PM +0200, Daniel Pocock wrote:

> Oddly enough, there is now a network/softphone called Ring[1] and so
> telepathy-ring may become confusing, it may need to be renamed
> telepathy-mobile or something.

I don't think it is appropriate to stomp over the name of an existing
project no matter how little time the upstream for another unrelated
project spent on researching that the name might already be used.

> Telepathy is a modular framework, the link you provided is a
> connection manager (CM) that appears to run within a Telepathy
> system, it doesn't appear to be a fork or alternative to the core
> Telepathy components.

See pochu's response.

> > Does Telepathy have a future?
>
> Telepathy is currently in many Linux desktops.

That doesn't mean it has a future, for that you need a community of
people who care about the project, are working on the core code and are
implementing new backends etc. Right now there doesn't seem to be one,
I guess ever since Nokia died, Telepathy has been on life support,
since it never saw use outside of Nokia/Jolla and the FLOSS distros.

> There has been some talk about improving the GNOME Empathy front-end,
> I'm not sure about the state of the KDE front-end, but they do work
> as they are.

Neither of those are part of the Telepathy project itself, they are
desktop-specific user interfaces for it.

--
bye,
pabs

http://bonedaddy.net/pabs3/