Meanwhile I found some PHP functions to crop the image and change the
contrast and brightness. The code is as follows:

// Resize
$thumb = imagecrop($source, ['x' => 830, 'y' => 330, 'width' => 115,
'height' => 30]);

// Filter
imagefilter($thumb, IMG_FILTER_GRAYSCALE);
imagefilter($thumb, IMG_FILTER_BRIGHTNESS, +50);
imagefilter($thumb, IMG_FILTER_CONTRAST, -50);

As a result I got at least a result: 39984

Its still not correct, but better than no identification of any letter...

How can I improve?