I can avoid this by checking to see if Apache::Test loads and only using it if it does. But then, how would I set up the tests to run after CPAN.pm has installed Apache::Test? Does it run Makefile.PL again?

I don't ever use CPAN.pm, so I don't know if the way I have been going about it actually works or not, but my standard 1.0 Makefile.PL (which was linked to in the perl.com article) looks something like

sub MY::test {
  eval {
    require Apache::Test;
    require Apache::TestMM;
    require Apache::TestRunPerl;

    Apache::TestMM->import(qw(test clean));
    Apache::TestMM::filter_args();

    Apache::TestRunPerl->generate_script();

    return Apache::TestMM->test;
  }

  or return <<EOF;
test::
[EMAIL PROTECTED] This test suite requires Apache-Test,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] which is available from the mod_perl 2.0
[EMAIL PROTECTED] sources, CPAN, or the httpd-test distribution.
EOF
}

this makes 'make test' echo the error string or run the tests, depending on whether A::T is installed. in either case, 'make test' is successful (I hope :)

HTH

--Geoff