On Mon, Oct 10, 2016 at 9:42 AM, Matthew Miller
<mat...@fedoraproject.org> wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 07, 2016 at 01:08:13PM -0700, Adam Williamson wrote:
>> explicit instructions for all three media types we care about (virtual
>> disc attached to a VM, real optical disc in a real machine, real USB
>> stick in a real machine), we ditch the USB test matrices entirely, and
>
> I think we should plan to drop out real optical disks sometime in the
> next couple releases. (In line with "'in an ideal world we'd test
> everything' and 'but we really don't have time'".) I think the hardware
> on which Fedora will run well which cannot boot from USB media is
> vanishingly small.

Quitting cold turkey sounds better than switching from active to
passive testing (only block if someone finds a failure), because all
it takes to block release is a last minute "can't boot this" bug.

Maybe it's practical to only support optical boot on either Lives or
netinstalls (and by extension server DVD). I'd say block on
netinstalls, just becase those can fit on either a DVD or CD, and
desktops and servers are more likely to still have optical drives.
Laptops just don't anymore for the most part. Part of why is dropping
DVD playback support in Windows 8 and 10. To get DVD playback support
now you have to buy the software separate from the OS. Licensing fees.

--
Chris Murphy