On 9/20/18 12:59 PM, Samuel Sieb wrote:
> On 9/20/18 12:30 PM, Rick Stevens wrote:
>> On 9/20/18 12:26 PM, M. Edward (Ed) Borasky wrote:
>>> +1 to dropping the optical media criterion for Fedora, but I still rip
>>> CDs and DVDs ;-)
>>
>> There are still some systems out there that won't boot off native
>> USB media and need CD/DVD emulation over USB to work. I don't think
>> the time is yet ripe to jettison optical media. Soon, but not just yet.
>
> This isn't dropping the ability to use optical media.  It's just a
> suggestion to drop the release criteria that a physical optical media
> not booting will not block the release.

So there is a potential that the software will be released, but not on
optical media. That may cause myself and others like me some grief.

> What system doesn't boot off USB now?  What do you mean by DVD emulation
> over USB?  That still sounds like not physical optical media.

I manage several data centers with some hundreds of servers. Granted,
the vast majority of them run CentOS, but some do run Fedora. And, as
Fedora goes, eventually so goes CentOS.

Some of these beasties are of, well, "older" vintage and are unable to
boot USB media natively. They can boot some USB-based and most IDE-based
CD/DVD drives. I'd love to replace them with newer systems but am unable
to unless they actually die an ugly and permanent death. I have to
justify the cost and replacing them "just because they're old" doesn't
fly with our cost accountants. I'm stuck with them.

Now, perhaps if I say, "I can't install newer software on them because
they can't boot that media," perhaps they'd relax the purse strings. Not
bloody likely, but perhaps. Changes such as this to the infrastructure
can have repercussions to people like myself that may not be apparent to
those not in my position. Optical media is still necessary for me at
this time.

I'm just putting in my $.02, that's all.