On 9/20/18 4:34 PM, Anderson, Charles R wrote:
On Thu, Sep 20, 2018 at 08:29:24PM +0000, Rick Stevens wrote:
Some of these beasties are of, well, "older" vintage and are unable to
boot USB media natively. They can boot some USB-based and most IDE-based
CD/DVD drives. I'd love to replace them with newer systems but am unable
to unless they actually die an ugly and permanent death. I have to
justify the cost and replacing them "just because they're old" doesn't
fly with our cost accountants. I'm stuck with them.
Do they not support PXE booting?  If not, can you boot a CD that contains a PXE boot loader?

PXE boot????  Set up a PXE server?  And that has to be on the local subnet or you have to set up forwarding on your router?  YIKES!

But then I have avoided PXE boot for a decade or more for the above reasons.

PXE boot is so nice. It has been my primary install method for years except for annoying laptops that lack an ethernet port. Set up a kickstart file and you have a fast, consistent, and hands-off install.