On Wed, Aug 26, 2020 at 7:38 PM Chris Murphy <li...@colorremedies.com> wrote:

> cc: Zbigniew and Alexey for opinions.

---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: Zbigniew Jędrzejewski-Szmek <zbys...@in.waw.pl>
Date: Thu, Aug 27, 2020 at 1:44 AM

[I think this will be rejected from test@ because I'm not subscribed...]

> Effective compression ratio is 3:1. Also, that's at the low end of
> what I regularly see. High end 4:1.

Yes, that's what I see too. On my laptop: 0.27, on a VM here: 0.28, on
a rpi3 that's doing dnf upgrade: 0.32. And if we have usual ratios like
that, then we could crank up the zram partition size. With 1/3 * 0.5
we're really only using 1/6th of RAM for swap. We could crank it up to
1.4 and not exhaust all RAM.

(Controlling zram through the uncompressed size is not very
convenient. It'd be much easier to specify the compressed size,
i.e. the backing size. An RFE for the kernel people.)

I think we should ask people to report their compression fraction in
various scenarios and make a decision based on that.

> If we had more data, 1:1 might be the safer and more conservative
> option. Thing is, I don't know that. I can't prove it. But there's a
> lot of historical data suggesting swap should be 50% of RAM. It only
> became common to use 100% and higher, to support the hibernation use
> case.
>
> A compromise for F33 that has already been suggested, and is
> compelling, is bump the ratio to 75%. And the cap from 4G to 6G. We
> have so many use cases we don't know a ton about, on a variety of
> archs, is the main reluctance. Things have been going extremely
> smoothly so far.
>
> But if we were to change it, a Beta FE might be a good time to do it,
> so the new values are in beta. Because we could then back off for
> final.
>
> cc: Zbigniew and Alexey for opinions.

In general, I'm for increasing.

Zbyszek