I tried to build TeTeX 2.99.8 on a solaris 8 machine (with my recently
built gcc 3.4.3, which is using Sun's as and ld).

The configure scripts are terminated by error in texk/web2c by the
following messages:

snip...
checking for main in -lm... (cached) yes
setting $BUILDCC to cc
setting $BUILDCFLAGS to $(BUILDXCFLAGS)
setting $BUILDCPPFLAGS to $(BUILDXCPPFLAGS)
setting $BUILDLDFLAGS to $(BUILDXLDFLAGS)
setting $BUILDCCLD to $(BUILDCC)
checking for tangle... no
configure: error: tangle was not found but is required when cross-compiling.
  Install tangle or set $TANGLEBOOT to the full pathname.
configure: error: ./configure failed for web2c
configure: error: ./configure failed for texk

I have not tried to do a cross build of any kind, configure was invoked by

sh -c './configure --prefix=/usr/local/tetex/2.99.8 >
/home/abel/log/tetex_2.99.8_configure.log 2>&1'

after unpacking texmf and texmfsrc according to instructions.
I have not tried with Sun's compilers.

Any recommendations?

Anders
Not subscribed