Stefan Ulrich writes:

>> 1) remove texk/xdvik/depend.mk
>> This file contained absolute paths to the X11 stuff.

> I was just about to write a similar followup ;-)

> This is the path:
>    /software/oss/X11/X11R6.5.1/include/X11/
> I think these lines in texk/make/rdepend.mk are supposed to
> delete the system dependencies on X libraries:

> @MAINT@               -e 's,/usr[^ ]* ,,g' \
> @MAINT@               -e 's,/usr[^ ]*$$,,g' \

> but they don't match the path `/software'.

They should probably match any absolute path.

> FWIW, in xdvik we've changed the #include directives from the
> <kpathsea/...> syntax to the more standard "kpathsea/..." syntax, so
> that one could use `$(CC) -MM' instead of `$(CC) -M' for creating
> the dependencies and get only dependencies on non-system
> headers. Why was the (non-ANSI) <...> syntax actually used? Are
> there any systems where "..." doesn't work properly?

Actually, I'm not sure why <...> is used rather than "..." -- assuming
it _was_ for a good reason, it would probably be for compilers where
the -I option only extends the search path for <...>.

Use of <...> is not contra ANSI by the way.

> [ TE wrote: ]
>> * unreleased pretest web2c version (7.3.4 pretest) with source special
>> support

> It's great to have this in web2c now. FWIW, I have a little
> wish-list for the source specials (like: force specials in
> footnotes, suppress them in headers) - do you think Olaf Weber
> would like to look into this? Also it seems that texmfmf-help.h
> has no description of the `--src-specials' option yet, so
> tex --help
> won't show that option.

As the matter stands, I just incorporated the source-special
implementation provided by other people, and didn't modify it.  The
implementation has always had large parts disabled, presumably because
they don't work well enough.

--
Olaf Weber

Do not meddle in the affairs of sysadmins,
        for they are quick to anger and have no need for subtlety.