> only config files in "trusted paths" can be used for external commands etc.

Sounds like we're getting closer to Perl's taint mode.

In any case, this is the sort of thing we'd have to depend on
kpathsea to provide, right?  I don't see that happening in this
release.  Yet, not allowing

   o !lpr -P foo

in a configuration file due to security restrictions is disappointing.

Note that dvips *does* use the current directory in most of its search
paths, so anyone can drop a config.ps as part of a dvi tarball that
will be picked up by dvips.  (Which is another issue, since security
can be disabled in the config.ps, which is why originally dvips would
never let you turn security *off* in config.ps . . .)

Arghhh.

-tom