I posted the following to comp.text.tex but I got no responses.

>I'm typesetting a book using latex2e, with \documentclass{book}.
>In Appendix A, my first displayed equation is labled as (A.1) when
>typeset, but I would prefer it to be just (1).
>
>What's the best way to accomplish this?

I found the "eqname" package on ctan, which allows one to relabel
an equation, but it doesn't seem to work in the appendix.  Besides,
I don't really want to call my equation (bingo), I just want (1), (2),
(3), ... instead of (A.1), (A.2), (A.3), ....

Can any of you wizards/gurus on this list help me?

I apologize for the off-topic post, but I'm desperate!

TIA.

Richard Belshoff