Hi there,

though i am neither a wizard nor a guru, i may suggest, that you should
use the easyeqn package. You have to keep track of the numbers of your
equations by yourself, since there is no internal counter, but maybe it
will meet your needs anyway. The syntax is:
\label[<Text>]{<Label>} or \label(<Text>){<Label>}, where for instance

\label[1]{eq1} would produce 1 as equation label and
\label(1){eq1} would produce (1) as equation label.

Alekos