Hello teTeXnicians,
      I have been reading this thread in a slightly bemused
fashion. At first, it seemed that someone didn't  like typing the same
dvips + gv command over and over again. But surely that is easily
solved by using Emacs + AucTeX ---- AucTeX helps track LaTeX errors
and once no more errors remain, \C-c \C-c File  [Ret] causes dvips to
be run on the dvi output; one can even specify various command line
options. This is obviously not what you guys are talking about; I wish
I understood the problem: but I would like to put forward the CONVERSE
PROBLEM! .....
         Because of visual impairment, I find it very difficult
(nearly impossible) to read black text on a white background. As a
mathematician all my documents are set with LaTeX and I view the
results using xdvi -rv (the reverse video switch).  My problem is that
most documents on the MathSci Net of AMS are in pdf or ps format and I
cannot read them. At times I have contacted the author and obtained a
TeX document from him/her but it would be preferable if there were a
switch in the ps or pdf viewers which would simply interchange ffffff
(white) pixels for (000000) black pixels. Is this a stupid/impossible
suggestion from a technology-ignorant person or is something available
for this purpose?

Apologies in advance for  this, possibly,  off-topic intrusion.

Kalyan Mukherjea