Allright, you guys have me thinking about automating all this in PMX.
(Meanwhile use \zcharnote..\ or D ).

Here are some considerations, for your comment:
1. I may be able to adapt the algorithm used for placing accidentals to work
for fingerings too. This would assume the default position is to the left of
the notehead. This can get very complicated in chords with 2nds, maybe even
with 3rds, if the digits cannot just be stacked; you need to store the
outline of each character to determine how much lateral shift is needed to
avoid collisions.
2. What font specification? Must scale with \musicsize.
3. Printed characters? single digits, 2 closely spaced digits with a tie
above them. Any others?
4. Syntax? Start out parallel to accidentals, i.e., subcommand to note name.
Can't use d, f, D, or F. The best I can think of is "G" (for guitar).  Then
one or two digits (but see item #5). Second consecutive digit always taken
as second part of printed pair, not any other interpretation of digits that
can be used in note names. So cG24 would not mean a quarter note with finger
2, it would be a note with inherited duration and a tied pair of numbers.
5. Position modifiers (with +/-") would have to come before the finger
digits, othersise +/- could be confused with something else. They would then
need a terminator ":" to signal when the finger digits start.  Should
position modifiers be relative to default position or to center of notehead,
or somewhere else? Does vertical position need any finer resolution than 1
\internote? Should there be a separate modifier to change default position
to above or below? Change of default position could either be global or
local.

--Don Simons