OK, I see you're going for perfect alignment. Try this:

\ibbbu0f0\tbbbu0\qb0i\tbu0\qb0i%

As whether to use PMX or not, you certainly are free to decide for yourself,
and as I said, you would have to use some inline TeX to get percussion
staves. But in general the argument that you gave is a little weak. It's a
bit like saying "I'm comfortable with a hand shovel, so I don't want to
learn to use a front end loader." But not exactly, because (1) learning PMX
is about 1/4 as hard as learning MusiXTeX, and (2) your background in TeX
will serve very well in constructing inline TeX commands to do the few
out-of-the-ordinary things that PMX can't do, like set a single line staff
for percussion. One of the main advantages of PMX is that it completely
relieves you of deciding between \notes, \Notes, \NOtes, etc., and in
multi-staff scores, lets you enter sequences of notes of different durations
in the order they come in each part, instead of having to parse them into
equal-duration groups and then jump all over the place vertically.

--Don Simons