I have Olivier's method working. New page wasn't a problem but needed a
slightly different re-definition. (I can usually figure out what to
re-define by looking at the original TeX output.) I'm not worrying about the
score, just the Piano part. But overall it's pretty touchy, because it's
very sensitive to what is in the "phantom" voice. In Olivier's example he
had only blank rests, which lead to \sk's, which MusiXTeX will tolerate
after a "|" without complaining that you referred to too high a staff
number. But anything else after the "|" leads to a stern rebuke. Among other
things this means I can't use the vertical equalization mechanism "Ae" in
the Piano part, because it uses a strut going upward from the *top* voice.
In the Piano part, PMX puts in a command to do this from the upper staff
because it thinks there are two staves in the part.

--Don