If you dig into the details of the challenge, you'll find a page-long score
with lots of these. And in many places you need another voice on the same
staff. So that would be a problem with my solution or either of Luigi's;
they use up the only two voices allowed. Plus, it's really tedious to figure
out the various parameters. If PMX were going to meet this challenge, I
think we'd have to follow another path. If we admit some inline TeX, can
anyone define a TeX macro that makes  one of these 12-note groups in a
generic way? It would be really hard, keeping track of the slope and
starting heights of the various parts. I've thought about it some but can't
really get started.

--Don Simons

Cataldi