>|For example, I do something like:
 >|
 >| {\zcharnote{'E}{\smalltype3}}

Rodolfo's example looks like a reasonable use of braces to
localize \transpose changes (though I would recommend using
numerical note values to preserve vertical position if it's
necessary to transpose the entire piece). Regardless, there
are no doubt many existing scores that would be affected
by globalizing changes to \transpose so I'm abandoning the
proposed changes.

For musixtex 1.24, I will edit musixdoc.pdf to clarify
the local effects of ` and ', but will also modify the
definitions of the \trm... and \Trm... commands so that
changes to \transpose in them *are* preserved, as they were
before \hboxes began to be used in 1.19.

Thanks to Don and Rodolfo for their comments.

Bob T.