Sent: Friday, April 17, 2020 2:12 PM
To: tex-music@tug.org
Subject: [Tex-music] IMSLP Chopin's mazurka pmx engraving files

Hi all...

Chopin's mazurka Op.67 n.2 .pmx file at IMSLP is uncomplete: it only includes
the first measure.  Why...?

With the occasion, I renew my proposal of creating a separate repository with
PMX/MusiXTeX sources.  They are only 1% of all the scores in IMSLP now:
creating such a separate section could hopefully have the effect of, or help,
increasing them...

Unfortunately not as easy as you might imagine. IMSLP is based on Wikipedia software. Compositions are handled in 'work pages' which are basically Wikipedia articles. A work page registers a composition and any number of engravings, including scans of old, out-of-copyright printed scores and/or autographs and new engravings. If any of the new engravings are prepared with musixtex they can't just be moved to another context. It would require quite heavy Wikimedia template programming to tag musixtex engravings such that they could be looked up as a separate group. Provided a suitable template were provided then IMSLP staff members or volunteers capable of editing work pages would need to look up all musixtex engravings (using the IMSLP Google search facility) and mark the software files (if present). I'm afraid that'll never happen.

Best wishes
--
Christian Mondrup
WIMA: Werner Icking Music Archive