Dear Hans Georg,

this is indeed strange case. The main issue is that the contents of
\sum command are missing tagging:

<munderover accentunder="false" accent="false"><mrow

It should be

<munderover accentunder="false" accent="false"><mrow
><mo mathsize="big"

I think that issue is that it is contained in \mathop command. It
seems to turn off the font processing. We should definitely take a
look at this.

The other issue is that Firefox renders the resulting document wrongly
when I've added the missing markup by hand. It was fixed when I loaded
MathJax for MathML rendering.

Best regards,