I appreciate this reminder of watching out for your partners in all activities.
So many accidents could be prevented if someone might just have said "are you
aware of _____? or watch that _____." I worked in a large coal strip mine with
400 union personnel mining and crushing 4 million tons per year. We had an
ongoing accident problem that finally got turned around when our safety
training revolved around watching out for the other guy. This made our own lax
habits more clear to each of us because we were probably doing the same simple
careless things. We went that 1st year without any lost time accidents.

I also worked in tower construction and we applied the same principles with
great success. It is the little things that usually cause accidents. To
overcome ego challenges it helps to remind the person that there is someone in
their life that would like them to come home at the end of their shift. I have
climbed Rainier and other peaks and know how in an instant everything can go
wrong due to a simple oversight.

We try very hard to practice these principals in our caving activities.

Rob Wood
Mesilla Valley Grotto