As usual, Gill, you have hit the nail squarely on the head, and voiced issues
of membership that I mentioned to Bill Putnam, NSS Director of Membership and
Fundraising I think.

When I started caving, joining the TSA and the NSS were two things that were
pretty much expected to really embrace this wonderful world of caving that I
wanted to be a part of. Our Grotto, though small and short lived, had leaders
who pushed hard for this, and gave us the training or access to it so as to be
well prepared for whatever this adventure called for. Yet, although one member
was a driving force in creating the grotto at one of our major state
universities, I am the only one still a member of these organizations and still
caving. So, I totally agree with you, but know it will take much hard work and
creative persuasion on the current grotto leaders to get new members and keep
them. Even though we do not live near a major grotto, Jim has gotten new cavers
we know to join these organizations, for it is the best way to have a large
network of like minded people who can help you stay underground doing what we
love as often as possible - all over the US and beyond!

Mimi Jasek

PS. I still want my printed NSS News.

Sent from my iPhone