OK, I tried to not voice my opinion largely because people don't tend to
be persuaded by facts, but apparently I lack the discipline.  Typically,
I think we tend to form opinions and then look for evidence that our
position is correct, rather than look at data and then form our opinions.
 In this case, Gill is arguing for more recruitment.  I suspect that much
like people whose solution is to lower taxes for all economic problems,
there are those for whom recruitment is the standard response to any
given membership problem.

Gill may be perfectly correct about issues at the Grotto lever, however I
will show you why I think he couldn't be more wrong when it comes to the
NSS.  For many years cavers have assumed that NSS membership is down
because of lower recruitment and then they go on to try to explain why
recruitment is down and why recruitment is necessary.  However, is the
assumption true and are there data available to us to test the
assumption?

There are data on NSS membership recruitment:  the NSS gives each new
member a serial number.  When I was on the NSS Board, I asked for and got
the last serial number issued for each year.  I also asked for and
received the total number of members at the end of each year.  Then I
made a graph of the data.  I expected that if everyone were correct that
the rate of new membership would have decreased and that attrition would
be fairly constant.  That is not what I found.

The rate of recruitment formed a positive slope throughout the existence
of the NSS (I have not looked at the data since 2006, but the membership
numbers were shrinking even then).  That means that the NSS is gaining
members faster than it ever has.  The curve that changed was not
recruitment, but total members.  And the change in slope was in 1995.
Since 1995, we have had greater attrition of our members.  The question
is why?  That question will not get answered by those who think that we
just need to recruit more members.  And the problem will not be solved if
the problem is not the one people think it is.  Poor retention of members
means that people who have experienced the supposed benefits of NSS
membership and found that it was not worth it to them as much as people
used to value it.

Let us consider some other data.
1) What separates an NSS member from being just a NSS News subscriber.
The caving community was once known for its camaraderie.  The NSS
Conventions attracted an average of 20% of its membership from about 1965
through 1976.  Since then, the highest attendance has been 14% and is
often less than 5%.  It is hard to feel like one is part of a family if
one never meets most of them.

2) There was a survey conducted of the membership a few years back and I
will grant that its methods were quite flawed.   However, there were a
few solid appearing trends in the membership.  One of those was that
those who cannot vote for the Board of Governors (Associate Members) had
the highest confidence in the Board and essentially the longer a
respondent had been in the NSS, the less confidence they had in the
Board's decisions.

My conclusion from these data were that additional recruitment is
probably counter productive for at least a couple of reasons.  If people
who are currently or formerly in the NSS are dissatisfied with the NSS,
then there is no reason to believe new members will be any more satisfied
with the organization.  If recruitment is at too high a rate, then there
is a relatively high ratio of new members to old members which makes it
more difficult to acculturate the new members into accepting NSS values,
traditions, and sense of family.  It is hard to know and like too many
new people at once and they are less likely to feel valued and accepted.
To the extent that there is recruitment, it does not need to be to join
the NSS, it is to attend NSS Conventions.  And NSS Conventions need to be
in places that can reasonably be expected to attract a significant number
of members, they should be inexpensive as possible not seen as
fundraisers for the Society, and they should be simple and fun - no
drinking zoos (ask someone about the Maine convention) and no host
security that thinks their job is to protect cavers from having a good
time, all convention activities should be within walking distance, and
convention sites should not have special laws making normal caver
activity illegal (cigarette smoking in the campground was a felony
offense in Washington (2006).  If adults want to engage is behavior that
is less risky than caving while at the convention, quit interfering.  We
have become quite conservative as a Society.  Compare the stories from
White Salmon (1973) or Decorah (1974) with what happens at conventions
today and you will ask as Alexia Cochrane did at the Idaho convention
(1999) after not having attended in decades: "What happened to us?"  In
my opinion, we have gotten to be control freaks and have largely
forgotten how to have fun.  I say this characterizing NSS Conventions,
not Texas cavers who tend to have more fun and be more permissive that
most these days, I think.

And finally, the NSS Board needs to quit alienating the membership,
especially by ignoring the advice of its committees and blindsiding its
members.  Committees are composed of volunteers that are supposed to have
more expertise and time to devote to particular issues that the NSS
addresses.  During my tenure on the NSS Board and on NSS Committees, I
found that the NSS Board tended to ignore both its own policies and its
committees and the Board tends to assume that merely publishing an agenda
is enough to inform the members of all their proposed activities.  Most
of the Board activity is only of interest to Board members, if it is to
anyone at all.  However, there are issues that the members need to be
involved in prior to hearing about it at the last minute, such as the
recent proposal to stop printing the NSS News.  Regardless of whether it
is a good idea or not, it is not a good idea to present the members with
a done deal.  The member need to buy in prior to such decisions.  Even it
the Board votes the motion down, I expect that there will be members who
will feel betrayed by the lack of discussion in the only official media
that goes to essentially all the members, the NSS News.  I suspect that
these behaviors have a lot to do with why longer term members don't trust
the Board.  The longer one is a member, the more opportunities one has to
see the NSS Board handle something badly and seldom handle anything well.
 I suspect there is a cumulative effect.

If you have made it through my diatribe, feel free to dismiss it or
believe it.  Or you can do some digging and look at the facts for
yourself.  There are usually facts out there and one does not need to
rely on intuition and pretend one is Socrates and deduce everything about
the world.

I could go on, but surely this is more than enough for now.

A disgruntled recovering speleopolitican,
Philip Moss