Hi Steve,
I am so sorry for your loss. Wildfires and what you call a fire storm differ
only in magnitude and location. In some areas, there is hardly any significant
dollar loss even with a bigger fire simply because it burns in an area with
fewer or no manmade structures. Eastern Nevada is a good example of this. At
the wildland/urban interface (WUI), however, it is a much different case. The
fires last year in Texas, this year in Colorado and many years ago on the
outskirts of Boise, ID, and Reno, NV, are prime examples of this type of fire.
As we move out into the countryside, this type of danger becomes ever more
present.
The sites I listed do not assure that you will never suffer loss, but in some
cases it will give you and the firefighters a fighting chance. Building
materials and landscaping are of prime importance in the WUI. Another important
thing is getting in and out of the property. In the WUI, your road or driveway
should be a loop with an entrance and an exit or should be wide enough for two
firetrucks to pass each other and brush should be cleared back from each side
to the recommended distance. In many cases, if the road is not big enough or
you have a bridge that is not strong enough to hold a firetruck, crews may pass
your property by.
One of my lasting memories of how important preparedness is was a TV news story
many years ago about a fire in a WUI near Los Angeles. It had hit a cul de sac
and run up to the top of a ridge. Only one house was left standing and
relatively undamaged. It was concrete dressed to look like adobe with a tile
roof, low-growing plants around it, ice plants on the downhill slope and a
swimming pool in the backyard which had been used in fighting the fire. The man
whose house it was stood there in tears looking at the devastation of his
neighbors' homes. An extreme form of survivor's guilt for doing the right
thing. It broke my heart.
I hope all of you will take care and live safely.
Louise