I have been an NSS member for close to 30 years...and to date have been to a
full convention once...and parts of a convention twice...and I would say that I
am a very dedicated member despite not fully "drinking the kool aide" every
summer.
  I would enjoy attending more conventions...but would rather spend my vacation
time in other ways. I think it would be great if portions of the convention
were webcast for us dedicated "other" cavers.
  Perhaps we should elect directors that share the vision or desires of the
members.
  And...I agree with Mr. Ediger; the TSA would well advised to consider how we
can leverage technology to better suit the needs of our geographically diverse
membership.

Bill Walden <wdwal...@windstream.net> wrote:
    BLOCKQUOTE {   PADDING-BOTTOM: 0px; PADDING-TOP: 0px  }  DL {
PADDING-BOTTOM: 0px; PADDING-TOP: 0px  }  UL {   PADDING-BOTTOM: 0px;
PADDING-TOP: 0px  }  OL {   PADDING-BOTTOM: 0px; PADDING-TOP: 0px  }  LI {
PADDING-BOTTOM: 0px; PADDING-TOP: 0px  }        A reply to William Hart Russell:

  The NSS Convention moves around enough that it is within a day's drive for
most of us every few years. My family has always made it a vacation - a week at
convention and a week touring.

  I don't believe that digital interaction can ever replace personal
interaction and hands on experience. I continue to look forward to the NSS
Convention every year that I am able to attend.

  That said, I do agree that a caver does not have to attend conventions to be
a dedicated NSS member.

  Best regards,
  Bill Walden