About 3 years ago, I proposed an idea that it would be great if caving
groups, such as the NSS, had their own touchscreen app on smartphones and
tablets.
Shortly after that, I went on a 3-month rant about how Google Plus was
great and almost such an app.  ( Looks like Google Plus is not going to
take off.)

Now, Facebook figured it out.
I just installed the I latest app, Facebook Groups, and it shows potential.

It puts a blue circle on your gadget, with 3 white colored figures inside
to represent a group.  Clicking on that puts you into a screen similar to
Google Plus, but all your Facebook groups are shown there, and clicking on
any group icon puts you in app tweaked for communication with members of
that group.

[ Disclaimer:  I spent 30 seconds testing this. ]

So now the caving groups just need to work on their icons .

David Locklear

P.S.  I had the privilege of seeing a few cavers yesterday and seeing Bill
Steele''s slide show.  I had seen it before in 1988 in Aggieland, but it
had been changed a little.

I have had little contact with cavers for several years and it was
refreshing to attend something caving related.
There were new people there.  I did not catch everybody's name.  One of
them was a girl named Clarion, who sounded enthusiastic about caves, even
though she had never been caving.

But the experience was also personally frustrating, because going caving is
not in my schedule for many months to come, certainly not the kind of
caving that I most enjoy -  tropical river caves.