A huge Thank You to everyone involved, with special thanks to Tim and his crew! A massive project accomplished in such a short time, and perfect timing before the rains predicted over the next several days. Thanks for the report Arron.
Logan
lmcn...@austin.rr.com

On 3/8/2016 11:21 AM, A. Wertheim via Texascavers wrote:

-------- Original message --------
From: "A. Wertheim" <werthei...@hotmail.com>
Date: 03/07/2016 10:40 PM (GMT-06:00)
To: Victoria Sommers <sommer...@gmail.com>
Subject: It is done- a Honey Creek update.

Well friends, the Honey Creek road repair project is finished. The road to the shaft entrance has never been better and will probably never be as good again. Team “Go Big Or Go Home” brought their best game in a road-working tour-de-force and not only repaired Joyce’s damaged road but made it useable for many years to come. All the stops were pulled out to make this project a success.

Here’s the rundown:

Volunteers:

Tim Ramon-                          Project Leader

8!, count-em, 8! of Tim’s employees volunteered to help on a Saturday.

Kim Freund- Food and drinks for a lot of hungry, dusty men

Kurt Menking- Equipment operator, planning, organization, landowner relations

Arron Wertheim- That’s me. I got to run some equipment and swing a chainsaw.

Victoria Sommers-                      Photo documentation, lunch

Robert Bissett- Equipment operator, fundraising, organization

Gregg “Breaks Thumbs” Williams              Fundraising

Equipment:

(Courtesy of Ramon & Sons Demolition, Inc.)

Case Backhoe

Case Compact Track Loader

Takeuchi Compact Track Loader

68000lb Kenilworth roll-off truck with a 20 YARD dump box

500 gallon Water Buffalo

Trucks, Trailers

Replacement drain pipes

Replacement gate posts donated for future installation

(Courtesy of  BCI & Bracken Bat Cave)

8000lb Tandem Dump Trailer

Funding:

Bexar Grotto

TCMA

TSA

Mr. Jerry Atkinson

Mr. Joe Ranzou

Mr. Greg Passmore

Greater Houston Grotto

TCR

Project Timeline:

Saturday and Sunday, March 5 & 6 2016 with good weather.

Project Plan and Action:

The original plan was to rent a couple skidsteers and borrow the dump trailer from Bracken to patch the road. When Tim volunteered to help out and review the project, it quickly became apparent that almost a mile of damaged road would take a lot more time and effort than a couple Bobcats would be able to handle. The heavy fall rains had made the road damage more pronounced. Beers would be spilled trying to drive it. Unacceptable. Several different repair options were discussed and a final few were selected based on the value of this work and on reasonable fundraising expectations. It’s a ranch road, not paved access; and while it was damaged during a rainy caving trip, it also had not been properly maintained since it was originally built. Ultimately a backhoe, skidsteer, and bumper-pull dump trailer were decided on with expected costs of up to $1400/1500.

When Kurt and I showed up Saturday morning there was A LOT more equipment than expected, men in orange vests, traffic cones, a low-boy trailer, and tons of things going on. Tim had taken a second look at the project scope and confirmed his initial thoughts that to get the work done in one weekend we needed to go big or go home. He asked one of his crew to help out on a Saturday and that quickly grew to 8 hard-working men in steel-toe workboots, hardhats, and safety vests doing what they do best.

Tim’s guys worked till 5:00 on Saturday and moved enough material to re-pack the whole road. A 20-yard dump truck can load a ridiculous amount of material. The box is 23ftx8ftx4.5ft. Caliche weighs 2430.57 lbs/cubic yard. That is 48611 pounds of material per load (as an engineer I just had to know.) A Bobcat has a ½ yard bucket. The dump trailer can load 4 yards. Anyways, watching the driver gently back that loaded roll-on behemoth between oak trees without so much as a nick to the bark or a snapped twig was amazing. Joyce had been adamant about protecting her oak trees. Well, without the 20-yard dump truck and experienced equipment operators this would probably have been a 2 or 3 weekend project with additional rental and transport costs.

Kurt and Rob ran the Bracken dump trailer loaded to the max until its hydraulics whined in tired complaint. When the dumper decided to take a dump from being overloaded, we grabbed shovels and unloaded it by hand. Short loads only after that! When it had to be lifted by the track loader to dump we knew it was finished.

Tim ran his track loader at redline all day long to keep up with the dump truck and dump trailer. Some of you may not know this but a 9000lb skidsteer loader can do wheelies! With the Case loader and Case Backhoe working the caliche pit, it didn’t take long to get more loads of material up to the road. The water buffalo ran big loops from the well, wetting the material so it would pack in nice and tight and last a long time.

Kim and Victoria brought lunch for the whole crew. The guys ate quickly and went back to work, determined to get their job done in one day.

On Sunday, Kurt, Tim, and I returned to do some touch-up work on the road, set the better culvert pipe at the gate, and fix an extra section of rutted road on the main property. Victoria saved the day with sandwiches, chips, and cold beer. We finished working around 5:00 and finished the beer around 6:00.

Big equipment isn’t cheap. Hauling costs are high and diesel burns fast when working fast. Without the big equipment there is no doubt this would have been a long-term project. All settled-up, the cost was $2000. For 30% more money there was easily 500% more work done in 1/3 the time.

Special thanks to Tim and his guys for donating their time, equipment, and expertise. Thank you to everyone who helped out and everyone that pitched in to cover the costs. This project goes a long way to keeping a good relationship with the landowner. Obviously such an endeavor cannot be routine so let’s all remember to tread as lightly on the surface as we would underground and to take care of the wonderful properties we have been given access.

Happy Caving!

Arron

//