If you would like to get a company or private donor interested in donating
large sums of money, it would help if the donors knew they could use it as a
deduction on their federal income taxes.

Which leads me to ask once again (since the first time I asked this question it
went unanswered), what would it take to make a donation to the Powell’s Cave
gating project tax deductible? The last time I checked the web site, the Texas
Speleological Survey is a registered 501(c)(3) organization, both Jim Kennedy
and Jerry Atkinson are Director.s Was there no way that the money couldn’t have
been donated to the TSS, which would then use the money to fund the protection
of Powell’s Cave? Or failing that, through the TCMA?

Why do we have these organizations in Texas if they can’t be used to leverage
donations to protect these important resources?

Diana

Diana R. Tomchick
Professor
Departments of Biophysics and Biochemistry
University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center
5323 Harry Hines Blvd.
Rm. ND10.214A
Dallas, TX 75390-8816
diana.tomch...@utsouthwestern.edu