From: Rafal Kedzierski via Texascavers <texascavers@texascavers.com>
To: texas cavers tc <texascavers@texascavers.com>
Sent: Thu, Jun 23, 2016 7:17 pm
Subject: Re: [Texascavers] Powell's Cave Gate Project update :

Leadership - It's about addressing the issues, not targeting the
messengers,Leadership - It's about getting things done even without global
consensus, Leadership - It's about setting your organization to succeed - like
setting up Ellenberger formation solid tax deductible donation
options,Leadership - It's about not insulting your potential donors or
participants,And I don't want to start my next email message with 'Excuses,
it's what's for dinner tonight',RK________________________________> Date: Thu,
23 Jun 2016 20:37:49 -0400 > To: texascavers@texascavers.com > Subject: Re:
[Texascavers] Powell's Cave Gate Project update : > From:
texascavers@texascavers.com >  > Rafal, >  > If it was so easy, I challenge you
to step up and make it so. From the  > experience I have had dealing with both
organizations, well-meaning but  > time and energy constrained cavers, and the
odd troll here and there,  > it's anything but easy to get folks to agree on
anything, even more so  > when money is involved. >  > Yes, Diana, I could have
appealed to either the TCMA or TSS to be the  > funds collector for the
Powell's Cave Project so that a handful of  > folks could get a minuscule tax
deduction if they wanted one. But I  > felt it was a conflict of interest to
ask the TSS to do so as I'm an  > officer on the Board. That won't matter to
some folks but it does to  > me. The TCMA is a fine organization doing
excellent work for Texas  > caves and cavers but they take awhile to make
things happen and this  > gate needed to be done quickly. >  > So, there you go
- the usual simple solutions to the worlds problems  > aren't actually all that
simple. Please keep that in mind as you  > instruct the world as to how it
should be done. In the mean time, I  > haven't seen you two actually donating
anything but grief. Make  > something happen or get off the soap box. >  >
Jerry. >  > -----Original Message----- > From: Rafal Kedzierski via Texascavers
<texascavers@texascavers.com> > To: texascavers <texascavers@texascavers.com> >
Sent: Thu, Jun 23, 2016 5:09 pm > Subject: Re: [Texascavers] Powell's Cave Gate
Project update : >  > What did you assume that isn't true? >  > Caves and karst
in Texas are an incredible resource that should be  > protected and set aside -
 the case for which should be easily made  > especially when one considers lack
of green space as compared to  > American East and West. If Texas cavers could
reach around and outside  > of its own community, get funding from private
donors, one could not  > only gate dozens of habitat sensitive caves but also
set up a network  > of karst preserves. For goodness sake, there are 54 SP500
companies  > headquarters in Texas!  All that takes is ability to share your
vision  > with others, show them the resource you are trying to protect and  >
reasons why. And yes, sometimes take them above and below the ground,  > get
their hands dirty. >  > And your concern is a nonexistent moral dilemma? >  >
RK >  > > Date: Thu, 23 Jun 2016 16:37:30 -0600 > > To:
texascavers@texascavers.com<mailto:texascavers@texascavers.com> > > Subject:
Re: [Texascavers] Powell's Cave Gate Project update : > > From:
texascavers@texascavers.com<mailto:texascavers@texascavers.com> > > > > Then
why did you ask, for Pete's sake ? > > > > Jerry. > > > > Sent from my iPhone >
<texascavers@texascavers.com<mailto:texascavers@texascavers.com>>  > wrote: > >
> >> No change in my statement. If someone is philanthropic in order to  > gain
access to the cave, that's a > >> wrong reason for generosity - but that's
his/her issue, not yours. If > >> someone is taken through the cave as a thank
you for helping to preserve > >> an incredible resource, that's your way of
expressing generosity - not > >> the issue of the donor. > >> > >> RK > >> > >>
---------------------------------------- > >>> Date: Thu, 23 Jun 2016 16:18:37
From: texascavers@texascavers.com<mailto:texascavers@texascavers.com> > >>> >
>>> When they ask ahead of actually donating, it's a tacit request.  > That
becomes my problem. > >>> > >>> Jerry. > >>> > >>> Sent from my iPhone > >>> >
that's a wrong reason for generosity - but that's his/her issue, not  > yours.
If someone is taken through the cave as a thank you for helping  > to preserve
an incredible resource, that's your way of expressing  > generosity - not the
issue of the donor. > >>>> > >>>> RK > >>>> > >>>>
---------------------------------------- > >>>>> Date: Thu, 23 Jun 2016
14:05:24 -0600 > >>>>> To:
texascavers@texascavers.com<mailto:texascavers@texascavers.com> > >>>>>
Subject: Re: [Texascavers] Powell's Cave Gate Project update : > >>>>> From:
texascavers@texascavers.com<mailto:texascavers@texascavers.com> > >>>>> > >>>>>
Rafal, > >>>>> > >>>>> I'm not comfortable with donations for the greater good
becoming  > entitlements for special privileges. It would be unfortunate if
that  > becomes the principal reason for being philanthropic. > >>>>> > >>>>>
As for resurveying Powell's Cave, there have been two survey  > projects of the
cave since the early 1960s, and one fairly decent map  > made of the cave.
Unfortunately, past efforts used whoever showed up at  > trips as survey teams,
with little to no quality control of survey  > standards. The result was a
mish-mash of excellent to awful surveys  > that was nearly impossible to
compile into a good map. Any future  > effort will require a different strategy
that may be too difficult to  > complete given the lack of project leaders and
cartographers we have  > today. > >>>>> > >>>>> Jerry. > >>>>> > >>>>> Sent
from my iPhone > >>>>> > >>>>> On Jun 23, 2016, at 8:01 AM, Rafal Kedzierski
via Texascavers  >
trip:)? > >>>>>> > >>>>>> When does the longest mostly dry cave in Texas get a
more  > perfect survey project and map? > >>>>>> > >>>>>> RK > >>>>>> > >>>>>>
________________________________ > >>>>>>> Date: Thu, 23 Jun 2016 13:55:00
+0000 > >>>>>>> To:
texascavers@texascavers.com<mailto:texascavers@texascavers.com> > >>>>>>>
> texascavers@texascavers.com<mailto:texascavers@texascavers.com> > >>>>>>> >
> can donate? > >>>>>>> > >>>>>>> --- > >>>>>>> Dessie Pierce, MA > >>>>>>>
Licensed Professional Counselor > >>>>>>> Licensed Chemical Dependency
Counselor > >>>>>>> Certified Clinical Trauma Professional > >>>>>>> 11999 Katy
Freeway > >>>>>>> Suite 509 > >>>>>>> Houston, TX 77079 > >>>>>>> phone:
832-735-0065 > >>>>>>> cell: 832-341-8880 > >>>>>>>  >
des...@dessiep.com<mailto:des...@dessiep.com><mailto:des...@dessiep.com><mailto:des...@dessiep.com>?>;
communication can be  > relatively > >>>>>>> easily accessed by unauthorized
people and therefore can  > compromise the > >>>>>>> privacy and
confidentiality of such communication. Please notify me > >>>>>>> (Dessie
Pierce) if you decide to avoid or limit in anyway the use of > >>>>>>> email.
Please do not use email for emergencies. Any advice given > >>>>>>> without a
contract for professional services does not constitute > >>>>>>> counseling in
any manner and should not be relied upon. Information > >>>>>>> contained
within and accompanying this message is confidential, > >>>>>>> intended only
for the use of the individual or entity named  > above. If > >>>>>>> the reader
of this message is not the intended recipient, you are > >>>>>>> hereby
notified that any dissemination, distribution or copy of this > >>>>>>> message
is strictly prohibited. If you have received this message in > >>>>>>> error,
please immediately notify me by telephone at 832-735-0065 or > >>>>>>> return
the email and purge all copies of this message from  > your system. > >>>>>>> >
Kennedy and company have finished the gate on Powell's Cave, and > >>>>>>> now
it's time to pay for it. As you can see from the accompanying > >>>>>>> graph,
we've received $1200 of the approximately $2500 that has been > >>>>>>> pledged
thus far. Many thanks to all that have sent in their  > donations > >>>>>>> or
pledged to help! - If you haven't sent in your pledged donation, > >>>>>>>
please do so at your earliest convenience so we can pay the bills. > >>>>>>> >
are > >>>>>>> thinking of helping out on the gate project, please do so at  >
this time. > >>>>>>> Help support our continuing efforts to protect both the
cave and its > >>>>>>> bats, and to demonstrate our commitment to the
landowner. > >>>>>>> > >>>>>>> Jerry Atkinson > >>>>>>> Powell's Cave Landowner
list | http://texascavers.com > >>>>>>>  >
Texascavers@texascavers.com<mailto:Texascavers@texascavers.com><mailto:Texascavers@texascavers.com><mailto:Texascavers@texascavers.com>?>;
http://www.mail-archive.com/texascavers@texascavers.com/<http://www.mail-archive.com/texascavers%40texascavers.com/><http://www.mail-archive.com/texascavers%40texascavers.com/%3chttp://www.mail-archive.com/texascavers%40texascavers.com/%3e>;