In conversation during the past NSS convention, I was told that a large bequest
($500K) from Roger Sperka and an anonymous donation of $400K has very
substantially reduced the balance the NSS still has to raise to pay off the
mortgage on the NSS headquarters in Huntspatch. A very brief mention of such
progress, without any details, was made during the banquet by the president. I
would have expected much hoopla about this by now in the NSS News or elsewhere,
but if there has been any, I missed it. Just looked at the president's report
for the October BOG meeting to confirm details. The report is at
https://caves.org/nss-business/reports/1610/PRES-1610.pdf, accessible only to
NSS members.

I recall Roger Serka as an upper-Midwest caver from my old days in Chicago. He
was living in El Paso when he died, apparently without any contact with Texas
cavers. -- Mixon
A chicken is the egg's way of making another egg.